You can change your life and control your emotions. The first step is to understand how you feel, and then learn how to avoid those feelings in the future.
You can change your life and control your emotions.
It’s true that you can’t control everything in life, but you certainly can control your emotions. And if this is the case, then why not get started right now? The payoff is huge! Can you imagine not being run by your anxiety or sadness or anger anymore? What a different experience that would be to have YOU actually be in charge (instead of your emotions running the show)!
So here are five steps on how to control your emotions:
- Familiarize yourself with emotional terminology. You have to start by knowing how to describe (even if just to yourself) how you feel. Most of us are lacking in our emotional vocabulary and this prevents us from understanding and labeling our emotions. So start by learning your vocabulary words!
- Figure out how emotions show up in your body. Pay attention to your physiology when you feel an emotional charge. Where does it show up? What does it feel like. Begin connecting mind and body.
- Take Control of Your Thoughts: Next, you need to take control of your thoughts. You are feeling bad because you have been thinking negative (automatic) thoughts about yourself and the situation at hand. Be a detective and start catching those thoughts because those sneaky little thoughts are the cause of your discomfort!
- Take Action: The fourth step to controlling your emotions is to take action. You need to get up off the couch and do something productive with your body! Go for a walk, clean up around the house, or call up an old friend that you haven’t talked to in a while. Work THROUGH your emotions. It’s perfectly fine if you still notice them around. When you take charge and begin to move your body and intention, they will dissipate.
- Talk to yourself about your emotions: what we say to ourself matters! Tell yourself what you are feeling, both emotionally and physiologically and that this is TEMPORARY. Not concerning, not forever, just a blip on the screen. Nothing lasts forever and neither will the discomfort. Your self talk should help tremendously!
If you can control your emotions, you will feel a lot better and take control of your life. You will have more energy and be able to do things that other people just can’t because they’re too stressed out. When you’re constantly feeling stressed out, it’s really hard to enjoy life anymore because everything gets on top of you so easily! If you want to feel better and be happier, then it’s time to take control of your life again. You can do this by learning how to control your emotions and feelings so that they don’t control you! Try out these five simple steps and enjoy the freedom and relief.